This soup will have everyone coming back for seconds!
YIELDS:4 – 6 serving(s)
PREP TIME:40 mins
TOTAL TIME:40 mins
- 1/2 tsp.kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tbsp.salted butter
- 1small onion, chopped
- 3garlic cloves
- 1/4 c.all-purpose flour
- 4 c.low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c.heavy cream
- 4 oz.fettuccine, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 3 c.broccoli florets
- 2 c.chopped cooked chicken
- 1/4 c.fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 c.grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp.fresh lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Melt the butter in a medium Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until sizzling, about 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook, stirring, until the coating is smooth but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- 2Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot, and stir to combine. Adjust the heat so the soup is simmering and cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, add the fettuccine to the boiling water and cook until just al dente, 6 to 7 minutes, adding the broccoli to the pot in the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain well, then stir the pasta and broccoli into the soup along with the chicken.
- 4Return the soup to a simmer and heat the chicken through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan and lemon juice; sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired.